In our minds we think of lots of outdoor fun in the summer – swimming, tennis, surfing, fishing, boating are why we love to live here! But with 10 full weeks of summer, there is plenty of time to add the arts to your child’s summer fun!
The arts are a great way to unplug this summer and unleash your creativity with summer dance! We’ve got the perfect cure for the summertime blues with our line-up of summer classes. With all of choices that are available to families over the summer, we’ve put together our top 6 reasons why summer dance is special and important!
1. Engage your brain! During the school year children are learning all day, every day. Summer dance camps are a great resource to trigger young minds through physical and observational learning. Students are memorizing sequences of steps, spacing, music, formations and keeping their brains active! Studies show that when we make split-second, quick decisions (like when we dance), we create new neural pathways that increase our intelligence. Learning lines or song lyrics helps with memorization skills and public speaking. Give your kids a break from school but keep their minds engaged through dancing!
2. Beat the Heat! While summer weather encourages us all to enjoy the nice weather and cool pools, a break from the heat is always appreciated. Our dance camps take place in the mornings with snacks and crafts included with many camps. Switch up your summer camps and give your student a variation with their summer camps.
3. Discovery! The Performing arts is a great way for children to discover what they are passionate about. Many of our camps offer a specific style or fuse several styles together within the week and focus on fun! Maybe it’s the discovery of jazz, or, maybe it’s the opportunity to discover how good they are at something. Discovery is a wonderful thing for every child regardless of age. It fires the imagination and allows children to dream.
4. Engage in maximum creativity! If your child is drawn towards creativity, summer dance camps are a perfect fit! Dancers, musicians, actors, and acrobats have many opportunities to get their creative juices flowing through movement, arts and crafts, games and songs. Theater camps even involve costume design, hair and make-up techniques for the stage, set design and more!
5. Stay Strong all Summer Long! Summer is a long time for our serious dancers to take off! By continuing their training in the summer months dancers stay strong, prevent injury and progress at a very rapid rate. We find summer is the best time for technical development.
6. Make new friends One of the greatest benefits of summer dance is getting the opportunity to work with new teachers and meet new friends. Dance involves a team like atmosphere and in many of our camps dancers spend several days together forming new friendships. Receiving instruction from a new teacher is incredibly helpful and super fun!